Park Cities Historic and Preservation Society
 
 
 
  • Home
  • Home write-ups


The 2020 Home Tour has been suspended, but you can read do a virtual tour of the homes here! 


Read further detail in the 2020 AXIS Magazine





3400 Drexel

Homeowners:

Jason and Leonore Owsley

Built by Walter William Whitley, a prominent local builder, in 1924. Shortly after completion, the home was occupied by Robert Chalmers, who arrived from Scotland to become the dean of St. Matthews Episcopal Cathedral. The symmetrical front fa├žade with accented doorway and evenly spaced windows has characteristics of Colonial Revival architecture, which was popular from 1885-1955. The home was in disrepair when the current owners bought it. They honored the original footprint of the home and renovated the spirit of the home.


            



3429 Drexel

Homeowners:

Jimmy and Kathryn Ogden

Built in 1921, this home is a rare example of eclectic asymmetrical Italian Renaissance architecture. From its high perch, the residence radiates a stateliness due to the prominent Roman arched entries, beautiful SMU brick, front terrace, and repetitive keystone and window accents. Tiered landscaping in both the front and rear yards provides a classic frame. The exceptional and unusual interior elements, synchronized color palette, retention and replication of original architectural details, coupled with a special focus on landscape make this ninety-nine year old home a genuine marvel. 





4412 Lakeside

Homeowners:

Jeffrey and April Manson

Preeminent architect, Hal Thomson, built this grand dame of eclectic Italian Renaissance architecture in 1918. Deep bracketed eaves, Roman arch windows, a gracious front terrace with balustrade and the unique decorative medallions combine in a distinctive manner. The owners undertook major cosmetic updates in 2018 to restore the interior Venetian plaster, fireplaces, gates, and pool. This family elected to live with prior renovations to this three-story, 103 year-old residence. Bold color, modern art, antiques, elegant fabrics, and other surprising interior design elements make this home feel exciting and intriguing. This classic Hal Thomson residence is a century old exquisite envelope that once opened reveals a modern world inside.




7000 Vassar

Homeowners:

James and Betsy Sowell

Surrounded by magnificent towering oak trees, this residence in Volk Estates is situated on approximately two acres. In 1890 the Volk family started their department stores and by 1927 owned a 77-acre area called Brookside, now known as Volk Estates. Architect Gayden Thompson and builder C.B. Christensen completed this eclectic Neoclassical style home in 1940 for Mr. & Mrs. Harold Volk, and The Dallas Morning News selected it as Dallas’ Best Modern House in 1940. The full-height entry porch and four impressive Roman Tuscan columns with Doric capitals define the front elevation as classical, but the interior has countless contemporary touches.


25 Highland Park Village, Suite 100-286  -  Dallas TX 75205  -  214-528-0021    info@pchps.org


PCHPS is a 501(C)(3) not-for-profit organization


(C)  2013 Park Cities Historic and Preservation Society 


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software